(Photo by Tommaso Boddi/Getty Images for IMDb)
Yes, Sundance is a celeb-filled affair, but that doesn’t mean you need to bring all of your winter glitz and glam ensembles here like you’re about to hit a red carpet in Los Angeles. Sundancing in Park City is surprisingly low key. Winter chic is in, Sorel snow boots generally fill the streets, and there are a ton of people in jeans and leggings topped with faux-fur trimmed Moose Knuckles and Canada Goose parkas.
During the day, you’ll need a heavy, snowfall-blocking coat, along with a sweater or long-sleeved top, jeans or leggings, and boots. Topping that with a fab scarf and a statement-making pair of shades is also never a bad idea. At night, you can switch it up with a sweater dress or cute warm top paired with leggings and boots, a kimono sweater paired with a plunging bodysuit, etc. The key is to keep these three Cs in mind when you’re at Sundance: casual, comfortable, chic (and don’t forget to layer).
And here’s your packing list…
1. One Fab Coat: One long parka will be fine, but you can bring one bomber puffer jacket or one knee-length coat (parka or puffer) if that floats your boat. Thanks to Moose Knuckles, I rocked this red parka that I’m obsessed with. Stylish winter coats also work, but you’ll be walking outside a lot, so make sure that it’s warm enough if you do wear one. Pair it with a winter hat and scarf. The coats listed below are perfect for the weather.
The splurge: Moose Knuckles Stirling Parka in red ($715) , the Canadian Goose Mystique Parka in Black ($1,050) and the Apparis Laure Faux Fur Coat ($365), which we’re obsessed with in red and chestnut. The (just as fab) budget buy: Urbancode Padded Parka Coat With Pu Trim Detail in Navy ($66) and the Kenzie Women’s Bonded Button Up Parka with Faux Fur Trimmed Fully Removable Hood ($69.93).
Also, check department stores like Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s, outlet malls, etc., and stores like Eddie Bauer for last-minute deals.
Shop Our FAB Sundance Coats List Here:
2. Booties and Snow Boots: Bring one chic pair of snow boots, one heavy pair of snow boots, and *maybe* one pair of block-heeled boots (ankle or over-the-knee) for nighttime events (add a pair of sensible heels if you’re going to the awards gala).
If you have a chic snow boot like the Sorel Emelei Lace Up Boots ($200; I’m wearing them in the photo below and love them), the sleek and more budget-friendly Sorel Women’s Out and About Boot ($129), or the Sorel Tivoli II Bootie ($129). That’s really all you need for the weekend. You can wear them during the day to screenings and events and at night to parties.
Photo by: Tonya Van Parys
The first time I went to Sundance, I brought wayyyy too much and hardly any of it made sense. After slipping and sliding around Main Street the first day and night in platform heels, I wore snow boots…everywhere. Falling for the sake of fashion – which I’ve done many times – is not cute.
Shop our Fab Sundance Boots List Here:
3. Chic sweaters and cardigans: Sweater styles change from year to year, of course, but there is one thing that remains the same: you can play with fashion when it comes to your Sundance sweater style. Sleek, chunky, and belted sweaters and cardigans are always good staples to throw in your bag.
Here are a few that I loved for this year’s fest: Free People’s Floral Bouquet Tunic Sweater ($299.95); Vici’s Dulce De Leche Knit Sweater ($62); Pink Lily Boutiques’s Love in Your Eyes Striped Sweater ($46), and Vici’s Fireside Knit Cardigan in Lavender. ($64);The one that I wore below to Refinery 29’s 29 Rooms in Los Angeles is also an example of how to take your sweater game up a notch (I paired this Free People Aquatic Cardi sweater with a metallic AQ/AQ belt and a plunging bodysuit).
Shop Our FAB Sundance Sweaters List Here:
4. Party clothes: Things are so laid back at the fest that you can take your daytime clothes to night and still not have to worry about a pesky doorman. Here are a couple of items we loved for just that: Distress Me Sweater Dress by Lovers + Friends ($67) and Spanx Moto Leggings , ($73).
Shop our FAB List of Sundance Party Gear Here:
5. Cold-Battling Socks: Is $20 a lot to pay for one pair of socks? Yes. Did North Face’s Cold Battling Socks keep my feet warm in boots that weren’t made for the snow? Also yes. It was worth the buy. To put this into perspective, before my friends and I discovered these socks, my sister had to keep warming her feet (which were in rain boots) by a fire pit.
6. A Fierce Pair of Shades: Generally, the sun is not beaming down at Sundance, but a statement-making pair of shades can be the accessory that takes a monochromatic look to the next level. We’re swooning over Margot Robbie’s shades above and these slayage sunnies as well: High Key Aviator Sunglasses, Quay ($65); Hindsight Shield Sunglasses, Quay ($65).
Shop our FAB List of Sundance Shades Here:
7. Leggings, Scarves, and Hats: The chill in the air at Sundance can come as a shock if you’re not prepared. Stay ready, so you don’t have to get ready, with an arsenal of leggings, scarves, and hats. We recommend wearing thermal leggings (i.e. long johns) under your jeans, and also wearing them under leather leggings, which we love rocking at the fest under a chunky knit sweater.
To stay even warmer, make sure to pack your fave scarves and hats. We have a thing for chunky knit scarves (especially cozy, statement-making scarves like this studded Cache Cool accessory) and cozy beanies with a furry pom on top.
Shop our FAB List of Leggings, Scarves, and Hats, here:
Go style on them, Destination Fabbers! 😉
Photo by Tonya Van Parys